In the Nursery, we aim to ensure that children enjoy every day with us, having fun in a nurturing environment while they grow and develop. We understand that the transition from home to school can be overwhelming for some children, and we work with parents or carers to ensure all children feel secure and confident.
We provide an enabling environment with activities and opportunities to help develop children’s learning while encouraging them to explore, seek challenges and solve problems as they enjoy their day.
We provide a unique curriculum based on what our children need. We use the Early Years Statutory Framework to support our planning and various non-statutory guidance such as Development Matters. We incorporate the children’s interests through various themes, ensuring that the curriculum combines learning both in and outside the classroom and children experience exciting, active learning opportunities.
The areas of learning have been organised into three prime areas of learning and four specific areas of learning. These are as follows:
PRIME AREAS OF LEARNING:
- Communication and Language
- Physical Development
- Personal and Social Development
SPECIFIC AREAS OF LEARNING:
- Understanding of the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
THE CHARACTERISTICS OF TEACHING AND LEARNING:
We provide many opportunities for children to learn in the Early Years setting through the teacher’s planning and children’s activities.
The three characteristics of effective teaching and learning are:
- Playing and exploring – children have the opportunity to investigate and experience a range of activities and are encouraged to ‘have a go.’
- Active learning – children concentrate and develop resilience when they encounter difficulties and enjoy their achievements
- Creating and thinking critically – children have and develop their own ideas, make links between ideas, and develop strategies for completing a task.
Starting school can be very daunting for any child. Luckily there is a range of resources on the BBC website to help your child get ready.
Here are some of our favourite websites to help with the transition into school:
How to help with the transition from home to school
Top tips for toilet training
How to help your child make friends at school
For more information about our curriculum, please click here.