At Raynham Primary School, maths forms an integral part of the children’s curriculum as it provides them with vital life skills through the development of their fluency, reasoning and problem solving abilities that they can transfer across the different areas of their learning.
To promote mathematical thinking at Raynham we:
- Learn and think about numbers from Nursery all the way up to year 6 through CPA approach (Concrete, Pictorial, Abstract).
- Have discrete, daily maths lessons from Reception onwards.
- Use maths across the curriculum, to enrich other subjects and make practical use of our skills and understanding.
- Use ‘Next Steps/Closing Gaps’ sessions designed to consolidate children’s learning whilst providing opportunities to further build on their core skills.
- Provide lots of opportunities for pupils to engage in problem solving and reasoning activities.
- Aim for pupils to ‘master’ areas of maths, depths of understanding and application of a skill or topic, rather than moving straight on to something different.
- Use online resources, such as ‘Maths Shed‘, to promote and support the learning and development of maths skills both in school and at home.
- Have whole school ‘Maths Challenges’ designed to engage and stretch pupils of every age.
- Have a staff ‘Maths Team’ who work together to investigate, trial, share and support new and ever better approaches to teaching this subject across the school.
Please click on the link below to see our calculation policy.
If you would like to know more about maths at Raynham Primary School, feel free to contact Miss Tverijon for EY/KS1 and Mrs Bejaoui for KS2.