In computing at Raynham our aim is to support children in becoming confident users of technology who have an understanding of how computers and the web work and have experience of using computational thinking to solve problems by writing programs.
We have trolleys with Chromebooks across all key stages. Children also have access to other accessories which all help to provide children with the chance to experience working with different devices. All classrooms are equipped with interactive touch displays and audio equipment which all help to enrich their learning experiences.
The content is delivered through a variety of themed topics which ensures children are given the opportunity to develop a wide range of computing skills and apply these in a context. Teachers use Kapow Primary to plan and deliver lesson, which follow the National Curriculum programme of study for computing and our key concepts are;
- Digital Literacy; using IT purposefully, creatively and safely
- Computer Science; developing computational thinking and programming skills
- Computers, Networks and the Web; understanding how computers, networks and the web function
The computing scheme of work is then broken down into the following key areas:
- Computing systems and networks; Identifying hardware and using software, while exploring how computers communicate and connect to one another.
- Programming; Understanding that a computer operates on algorithms, and learning how to write, adapt and debug code to instruct a computer to perform set tasks.
- Creating media; Learning how to use various devices — record, capture and edit content such as videos, music, pictures and photographs.
- Data handling; Ensuring that information is collected, recorded, stored, presented and analysed in a manner that is useful and can help to solve problems.
- Online safety; Understanding the benefits and risks of being online — how to remain safe, keep personal information secure and recognising when to seek help in difficult situations.
Click here for the key learning at each stage (composite knowledge)
Select a year group below to view our progression documents:
Click here for the Children First Academy Trust Computing Intent
Click here for more information about Online Safety.